Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Are you on your own path?

Good morning ladies,

Have you ever woken up one day and realised all the art you have been creating in the past months has been based on other artists. Techniques you've learnt, styles you have seen etc.
I had this horrible but wonderful realisation today.
I've always thought the internet was an amazing way to connect to other artists and provide 'inspiration'.
I still do think the net is absolutely wonderful to connect with other artists, and I can't imagine not being able to do that.
However, it is so very easy to unconsciously take too much of other artists work and incorporate it into your own. Before you know it, your making art that is no longer heartfelt or has meaning to yourself.
Sure, you like the art you are creating, but in a years time will you still love it, will it have meaning to you. Will it light up your heart when you see it? Would it be one of the first things you save from a fire? Does it have a little piece of your sole?
Sounds pretty deep, hey! Well, guess what ? Art is.

So the thing is, I find personally when looking back at my art, that it was very different.
I made acrylic and watercolor paintings, and some of these are the best work I have ever done.
Of course, I have learn't new techniques along the way and tried new styles and products, but I believe I have started to stray too far away from me. If that makes sense.

After thinking about all of this, I opened a blank journal, grabbed my watercolor paints and graphite pencil and headed outside to my garden.
I felt like myself again. Suddenly I wasn't trying to replica the style of someone, or please viewers. This painting was for me.

My point is that it's great to learn from others, it helps you grow as an artist, but never lose sight to why you create art and what makes it just yours. Don't wander from your path. Take time to try new things but remember to come back to your true style.
I'm on a quest to find my way back.
I hope you continue to follow my journey, as you continue your own.

I hope this has given others something to think about and has hopefully helped in some little way.
Hugs,
Sonya

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. When I am in a rut I do a series in the style of other artists just to push myself to use different colour combinations, or some materials I've had sitting in the drawer for a while. It can be helpful but you eventually have to learn to incorporate the techniques into something that is your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracy,
    Im glad I am not the only one and yes it's so true.
    Hugs, Sonya

    ReplyDelete