Friday, July 13, 2012

my acrylic canvas portrait

In the past couple of weeks I have been trying to perfect my painting skills, especially in shading skin tones.
Many wise teachers have said "practice, practice, practice" and believe me I have been trying.
I have also been desperately searching for my own style, or signature look, which as some of you might know is so very hard when just about everything art wise has been done out there!
It can be very daunting trying to create something that is your own.


Eventually, something has came to me, with the help of my 13 year old daughter who loves to zentangle.
I found out that I can have the patience to zentangle as well, if I set my mind to it. Then it dawned on me, why not use my new inproved acrylic shading skills and my new skill of zentangle and create a style of my own. Of couse the photos just don't do her justice as I can't seem to pick up the depth of her skin tones and highlights.



After a quick tester piece of art with my daughter, I was quick to see a new love developing. I rushed out and bought a big canvas and set to work, this time on my own.
Here is the results. What do you think? The piece measures 35.5 by 23.5 inches and will be hung in my family room near my art station. Everything always looks better in real life. I guess I will never be a photographer... anyway I hope you get the general idea.


Hard at work.. I love every minute of it




All ready for my husband to hang on the wall of our family room near my art station.





1 comment:

  1. The shading is beautiful, Sonya. An exciting contrast between that and the hair.

    ReplyDelete